Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Grandpa Don's watching over me

Dalia takes a bottle of formula every night. She drinks it with vigor, sucking it down, breathing hard, making her special sound while doing so. I try to sing to her while she's drinking to calm her down for sleep. With all the songs I know, I can't seem to think of many good ones at bedtime, brain = mush. So I've been singing "Taps," which I learned at Camp Birch Trail at Lake Pokagema in Minong, Wisconsin:

Day is done/ gone the sun/ from the lakes, from the hills from the sky/ all is well/ safely rest/ God is nigh/ and Goodnight

Then it goes into the spiritual "All night, all day, angels watchin' over me, my Lord/ All night, all day, angels watchin' over me."

The song is way too short. So, I've started incorporating the names of her family who have passed away, whom I know are looking out for her. "All night, all day, Grandpa Don's watching over me, my Lord…" And I add in Grandma Ruth, Herbert, Cynthia, T-bo, Bets, H.K., Eleanor, Izzy, Rougie, and on and on as I think of people. Usually she is asleep before I get back to Taps.

No comments:

Post a Comment